Friday, March 9, 2012

Pregnancy and the Flu...And You!

Hey, so when we last spoke yesterday morning, Kami wasn't doing so hot - and that's still the case. Rather than drive over to Baptist at 7:30am (it is still Nashville, and it was raining very hard. We probably would have only just arrived 20 minutes ago) to see our OB/GYN (who probably wouldn't be able to do much, anyway), we went to the Urgent Care Clinic up the street.

We filled out all the new patient paperwork (we don't have a Primary Care Physician - and we're totally fine with that), and waited. I sat across from a guy wearing a Penn State Football "No Names All Game" shirt, and spent the time Kami took to fill out the forms trying to figure out which joke to tell.

So they took us back, they took Kami's blood pressure (a little high) and her pulse (98 - a touch high, but I guess fairly normal for someone who is pregnant, and sick). Meanwhile, I had a really big school group coming to The Hermitage, and there were some complications with them, so I was either on the phone or texting, and the PA looked at me like I had either just drop-kicked a sack of puppies, or punched a nun square in the butt-cheek. But Kami was fine with it, and that was all that mattered to me.

Our doctor entered:











I wish I was kidding, but - minus the redness of the hair - ...it was Beaker. He flat-out said, "It's been a while since I've looked at what pregnant women can and can't take. So I'd suggest you call your OB and see what they say. What have you been taking?"
Kami: "Mucinex and Tylenol, and lots of fluids."
Beaker: "Keep doing that. Let's see if you have the flu."

So the PA came back in, Kami stuck a 6" Q-Tip up her nose (her own nose, not the PA's nose). They tested it and, yep, Kami has the flu. So I called The Good Doctor and left a message, where they called in a prescription for Tamiflu - safe for preggos.

Beaker: "Yeah, it's the flu. So...rest up, fluids, keep on your Tylenol, Mucinex, but just take it easy and you'll feel better soon."

Now, I have no problem spending money to make sure my wife and unborn first child are safe and healthy, but $98 to run a Q-Tip up someone's nose and suggest a strict Gatorade regimen seems a little ballsy to me.

ANYway, Kami's fever comes and goes, but it hasn't been over 100.5 - and apparently you don't need to really worry about a fever unless it's sustained at over 102 or 103 for a long period of time. The worst part for her is the coughing and the congestion. She does better if she's sitting up, but it's hard to sleep sitting up. The next best thing would be to sleep on her back, but she's not supposed to sleep on her back, because it's not great for the baby. So she hasn't slept much, feels like hot, whipped garbage, and coughs incessantly without bringing anything up. Anytime that Mucinex wants to kick in would be just fine.

I'm relegated to the couch, because I don't want to get what she has (hold on, let me finish), have her get better, and then pass it right back to her. Angus apparently feels the same way, because we got all cozy on the couch last night. Gunther - the Honey Badger - doesn't care, and spooned Kami all night long. I need to keep an eye on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment