Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Something Of Which I Am Being Deprived

If you were to ask me about my favorite movies (which you are now, theoretically, doing), I would respond in the following manner:

1. The Departed
2. The Gangs of New York
3. The Usual Suspects
4. Inception
5. Die Hard

(Varsity Blues was THISCLOSE - my junior year at ACU, I was very sick in my dorm room, and put Varsity Blues in my TV/VCR combo. I watched it all the way through. Through the credits. Then it stopped, rewound, and played all the way through again. I was either too sick to get up and hit "Stop," or I was too sick to care. Jon Moxon > Tim Tebow.)

And No, I am not comfortable with the fact that three of my five favorite movies have Leonardo DiCaprio in them. Could have been worse. That said, I can watch Die Hard at pretty much any point. I can't count the number of times I've looked at Kami and said, "Well, we can always watch Die Hard." Technically, I think Die Hard 3: With A Vengeance is superior. So it would go Die Hard 3, 1, 2, 4. Much the same way I rate the Indiana Jones movies. But Die Hard 1 is what started it all, so it gets #5 billing.

Yet I digress. This is about Die Hard, and how Sgt. Al Powell's evening started before Hans Gruber, et al., ruined, yet saved John McClain's marriage to Holly Genarro. No, I did not need to look any of those names up. If you remember, Sgt. Powell (played by Reginald VelJohnson - who also was Carl Winslow, on Family Matters) opened his evening at a gas station with arms full of Twinkies. The gas station attendant eyes him questioningly, and Sgt. Powell responds, "They're for my wife. She's pregnant."

The point of this is that Kami has deprived me of buying arm-fulls of Twinkies. She may have a craving, but it's for hummus. Or carrots. Last night she wanted a hamburger at the late hour of 5:45pm. Not once have I gone to Sonic for breakfast burritos at 11:30pm. I haven't gone for Mint Oreo Blizzards at 10:15pm. Never have I been asked to go to the gas station for delicious horrifically processed sugar.

She's been a good girl. And that sort of irritates me because, you know, I've been thinking about Twinkies since...oh, 1988.

No comments:

Post a Comment