Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all you ladies out there. It hasn't been a great weekend - Kami has a stomach bug, which messed up the Birthing Classes we had scheduled at the hospital this weekend. Friday night, she got about an hour's worth of sleep, and I was up with her from 2am until about 3:45pm. I called the OB Triage nurse Saturday morning and asked yelled about what I should do. As long as Emmy's still kicking, everything's fine, it's just something Kami's going to have to go through. So she's been on a steady diet of Pedialyte, Sierra Mist, oatmeal, and Baked Lays. I've eaten about 3/4 of the bag of Baked Lays. And I'm a jerk for getting a Big Mac last night when Kami could barely keep crackers down.

This has traditionally been a tough day for Kami, for previously mentioned reasons, but today is quite different. Kami said this morning that Mother's Day took on a whole new meaning when Emsley woke her up kicking.

We typically have avoided church services on Mother's Day, because it's always about the mothers (which is totally fair). There's not a whole lot of acknowledgement given to the mothers, and fathers, who find Mother's Day to be extremely difficult. It broke - and still breaks - my heart to think about Kami say she did not feel like a woman because she seemingly could not have a baby. Today we didn't go to church, but mainly because an ill-timed sneeze could have resulted in a trip to the dry cleaners.

So today Kami and I celebrate because, this time next year, we'll have a 10-month old. Her name will be Emsley, meaning "Gift from God," which is exactly what she is, exactly as Kami is to me.

(We also celebrate because Manchester United did not win the English Premier League today. Manchester City scored on a couple of late, crazy goals, and I scared Emmy with my shouting. I also hurt my knee with my celebrating. The next time there's a Premier League game on, Emmy will be about a month old. That's...)

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Hoping Kami's feeling better by now! A belated Happy Mother's Day to Kami and a hearty congratulations to you, Yasko!

    ReplyDelete