Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Patience has never been a virtue

Patience, n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.
-Ambrose Bierce

This is getting ridiculous. I am so ready to meet little Emsley that I can barely stand it. But she just flat-out won't cooperate. (This will likely not be the last time this sentence is typed.)

Anyhow, an update. Short version: Kami's still pregnant.

Long version: Ever since we found out the due date, I have really been pulling for Emsley to come early so that I can have a July 4th baby, history dork that I am. She'd get the day off every year. There would be fireworks for her every birthday. And, I'd get to tell her about 'merica. It's 1:30pm right now, so there's still a chance.

Yesterday Kami and I went and visited a pediatrician that also (a) goes to our church and (b) takes our insurance. So that's out of the way, because he's a nice guy. But on the way back from his office, the AC in our car started acting funny. And I mean "Funny" in that, "It stopped blowing out cold air." It was 4:55pm, the day before a national holiday. So I pulled into a Goodyear and their AC guy had just left about two minutes before we got there. This means we currently have a car that I will possibly have to drive to the hospital with a woman in labor, when it's 100 degrees outside, with the windows down. That'll be fun.

So last night, with today being a holiday, we took it quite easy and went off to bed around 11:30pm. From 3:30-6:45am, Kami was on the couch, with contractions every five minutes for an hour. Apparently she was THISCLOSE to coming and waking me up, but they then tapered off. This has been our pattern: Contractions close enough together to get me all worked up, think about making a cup of coffee, and then they taper off. Then we go to bed, and do it all over again.

I'm currently useless at work. I can't focus. Luckily I have enough busy work that I can get through the day without feeling like I'm stealing. But every time Kami calls me at work, my heart jumps through my chest and out the door.

Ultimately, I know she's going to arrive when she wants, and that's something I'm going to have to get used to. But, this is most assuredly a minor form of despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment