Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Do the Washing Machine!

20 weeks. Halfway. One of the things that it has taken me a while to remember is that this whole "9 month pregnancy" is sort of a load of crap. You're (or, more accurately, "she") is pregnant for ten months. That extra month is used to add seasoning.

Anyhow, Kami has been able to feel Little Baby Girl Yasko moving around for a couple of weeks now. Apparently, the most bizarre part of the ultrasound last week was feeling BG move around, but being able to watch it happen simultaneously. I imagine this is not unlike when they try to get the Bug out of Neo's stomach in The Matrix. Less sinister, but accurate, nonetheless.

So last night we're sitting there watching a movie ("Dream House," with Daniel Craig - note: if you're looking at buying a house, more on that later, don't watch movies about how vulnerable the lead character's family is because of the house's history), and Kami goes, "OH! UHHHHH..." and it was real loud like that. So I go into Guy Mode and look at where Kami's sightless eyes are pointed, looking for a huge roach, or a snake, or a wolf in the corner of the room.

Ultimately I realize that BG is moving around, so I leap over to where Kami is sitting and put my hand on her tummy. In a reflection of what is fairly typical of my life, as soon as I get over there to feel her tummy, the moving stops. No feely-baby for me. I know it's going to change in the next couple of weeks, but I haven't been able to feel much in the way of the baby. I have the visual confirmation of Kami's tummy slowly growing, but I'm really looking forward to feeling the washing machine in Kami's midsection.

Kami Update: She's feeling great. The kids Kami takes care of are really getting a kick (ha!) out of feeling the baby's shoulder, or noggin. Funny update: Kami's mornings - within 10 minutes of her waking up - are foggy, anyway. Well, with the addition of Pregnant Brain, they're even foggier. So today here in middle Tennessee, we're supposed to have some pretty bad weather - hail, damaging winds, possible tornadoes. In watching the Weather Channel four minutes after she woke up, they said there was a tornado in Harveyville, Kansas. Kami's foggy/Pregnant Brain response: (in an incredulous voice) "WHERE'S KANSAS!?" As if she had never heard of the Lost Colony of Kansas. When I started laughing, she got defensive, which made me laugh harder. She's not talking to me right now.

Also, quick congratulations to my brother-in-law and his wife (is she my sister-in-law?) on the birth of their daughter Harper last week. Aaron's like my brother, and he's the second one close to me to have a girl in the last month (my buddy Brooklyn Mitch being the other), so they're my eyes and ears on the ground. I do feel bad for their dog, Chester. Gunther and Angus - our two - have been a central part of our lives for the past seven years (we got Gunther seven years ago today. He ate a battery, and he vomited teeth once. They were Chester's teeth. I don't know.) Anyhow, Harper is Aaron & Allison's 3rd child, meaning Chester has been bumped off the podium, and is out of medal contention.

No comments:

Post a Comment