Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Verdict

This morning was quite fun.

First of all, to those of you who live in Nashville and drive places: You should be ashamed of yourselves. It's just some rain! What would normally be a 16-minute drive took 49 minutes and got us to the ultrasound room at 8:14 for an 8:15 appointment.

Of course, when Kami's name was called for the ultrasound, I was in the bathroom. If there is one phrase that could possibly sum up my life it's, "I was in the bathroom." I am notorious for watching an entire soccer game, getting up to go the bathroom, and missing two goals. I'll never be an eye-witness to anything important, because when News happens, I'm draining my bladder. So I get back to the lobby, and Kami's waiting at the door with the nurse lady, laughing. Inauspicious beginning.

The ultrasound tech was great. Not at all like that Ben Linus jerkweed from Bassett. She took all sorts of pictures and measurements and whatnot. And now there's 3D ultrasound imaging, which was something I was not prepared for, and burst into a severe allergy attack (the cause for the tears streaming down my face) upon seeing the little face. Still, it seemed like ages went by before we got to the money information - the sex of the baby.

Before we did that, we got to see the heart beat - 148 bpm, very normal - and see about how much it weighed (about three-quarters of a pound). The baby has its back to Kami's belly button, so it was a little harder to see, but much easier for Kami to feel moving around. The baby is also quite dramatic - throwing its hands in front of its face, touching its toes, and generally waving at the camera, all at the same time.

Down to the real info, it was determined that the baby is, in fact, a little girl. This proved that the Old Chinese Wives and their tales were absolutely correct, and you can take all of their tales as fact. Kami and I couldn't be more ecstatic about it. Obviously.

Over at the Good Doctor's office, we found that everything is statistically normal. Her tummy measures at about 21 weeks (whereas Kami is in between 19-20 weeks - I find this to be extremely cute), her heart rate, heart size, bloodwork, all of it, is good and healthy. Going back to the bloodwork we had done at our last visit, there is a very little chance of anything being "wrong" chromosomally (spell check doesn't think that's a word). We're in the "1-in-9,500" chances of all of that.

Good news all around. I didn't sleep much last night, and I couldn't eat this morning. Sitting in the car, I suddenly became both very hungry, and very tired. So we went and ate Mexican food. AND IT WAS DELICIOUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment