Monday, January 9, 2012

This baby is extremely convenient and considerate

So many of you who know me know that I am a Houston Astros fan, to put it quite mildly. 106 times last year I went to bed angry (and, I mean, angry), because the Astros lost, even though I knew they weren't going to be good in 2011 (2012 doesn't look much more promising).

When the Astros went to the World Series, I knew that Ezequiel Astacio was going to lose the game as soon as he came in for the 14th inning in Game 3. I threw up when Albert Pujols hit the Brad Lidge home run in Game 5 of the 2005 NLCS.

ANYway. Jeff Bagwell was eligible to be elected/inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame for the first time last year, but because the voting members of the BBWAA think he was too big and therefore must have been using steroids, only 41% of them voted for him (you need 75% to get in). This year, though, there was a part of me that thought he might get in, what with the bounce from the writers who just don't vote for anybody on the first ballot.

Induction is July 22, 2012. Had Bagwell gotten in, he would have been enshrined in Cooperstown - the first player to wear an Astros cap on his plaque - five days after the due date of our baby. And Momma wouldn't have me going to Cooperstown (a) without her, and (b) leaving her with a five-day old baby.

But only 56% of the BBWAA saw fit to vote for Jeff Bagwell, so Bagwell stays on the ballot for 2013 where he goes joins teammate Craig Biggio for his first year of eligibility. We'll go back to Cooperstown for both inductions - but man, it would be cool to take a 1-year old for their induction.

So, thank you, baby; and thank you for your ignorance, BBWAA. For once, your insolence benefits someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment